A REFERENDUM ON PUBLIC ACT 269 OF 2001 — AN ACT TO AMEND CERTAIN SECTIONS OF MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW
Public Act 269 of 2001 would:
• Eliminate “straight party” vote option on partisan general election ballots.
• Require Secretary of State to obtain training reports from local election officials.
• Require registered voters who do not appear on registration list to show picture identification before voting a challenged ballot.
• Require expedited canvass if presidential vote differential is under 25,000.
• Require ballot counting equipment to screen ballots for voting error to ensure the accurate tabulation of absentee ballots. Permit voters in polls to correct errors.
• Provide penalties for stealing campaign signs or accepting payment for campaign work while being paid as a public employee to perform election duties.
Should this law be approved?