The Mackinac Center for Public Policy is a 501(c)3 research and education institute dedicated to advancing free market and limited government public policy that brings greater freedom and opportunity to all people. All donations made to the Mackinac Center are used for this purpose.
This Policy identifies the types of information collected by the Mackinac Center; describe limits on use of that information; explain how donors can manage their information preferences; and inform donors of information safeguards.
The Mackinac Center may collect and maintain these types of information about our supporters:
- Contact information such as name, address, telephone number and email address.
- Payment information related to a donor’s gift.
- Information shared by donors as part of their relationship with the Mackinac Center, such as the donor’s interests, questions or suggestions
- Non-confidential information that is in general circulation or publicly available, such as news articles featuring our supporters
Security of donor information
The Mackinac Center is responsible for all Donor information in our possession. All employees are individually required to safeguard donor information. The Mackinac Center employs technological, physical and organizational security measures to ensure the safekeeping of confidential information.
Use and Disclosure of Donor Information
The Mackinac Center may use Donor information in the following ways:
- To establish and manage our relationship with a Donor, including helping us understand and identify Donor preferences, expectations and interests.
- To provide requested information to Donors.
- To share our publications, event invitations, messages from the president and free-market news updates by mail and email.
- With Donor permission, to publicly recognize and thank them for their generosity.
The Mackinac Center does not sell or rent donor information. The Center may exchange Donor postal mailing lists – limited to postal addresses only - with like-minded organizations for a single use. We have found this to be an effective approach to reaching audiences most likely to support the Mackinac Center mission.
Donors are invited to contact the Mackinac Center at any time about their Donor information preferences. If a Donor so requests, the Mackinac Center will exclude that Donor’s address from postal exchange lists. To make such a request, please call 989-631-0900 and ask to speak with Lorie Shane, managing director of Advancement. You also can send an email request to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org.