Michigan’s Public Act 286 of 2008 guarantees 90% of retail electricity sales to Michigan’s regulated utilities — within their respective operating areas. The remaining 10% is open to competitive markets, where “alternative electric suppliers” are allowed to operate. The MPSC defines an alternative electric supplier as “a licensed third party company who sells electricity at unregulated rates to customers located in Michigan.” In Michigan, industrial and commercial users, and public schools make up the choice market.
To sell electricity in Michigan’s choice market, suppliers must be licensed and meet minimum standards set by the MPSC. The following companies are licensed as Alternative Electric Suppliers in the state of Michigan.