State Sen. Shirley Johnson, R-Royal Oak, has introduced S.B. 1262 to prohibit schools to purchase, store, or use free-flowing mercury, or to use a scientific lab instrument containing mercury, after 2004. High levels of exposure to mercury may cause damage to the central nervous system and internal organs, and even death. The Department of Environmental Quality has reported 14 mercury spills in schools since 1994. This bill has been passed by the Senate, and referred to the House Committee on Education where, at press time, it remained. Mercury encapsulated and secure, as in certain light switches, would not be affected.