TAYLOR, Mich. — The city of Taylor will use Community Development Block Grant federal funding to demolish three unused school buildings owned by the Taylor School District, according to The (Southgate) News-Herald.

The three sites are Monroe and Racho elementary schools and the remaining structure of Taylor Center High School, The News-Herald reported. School board President John Reilly said the city previously intended to purchase Monroe Elementary as a future park site, but that the anticipated cost of asbestos removal made funding difficult to attain, The News-Herald reported. Subsequently, the city received approval to add the demolition projects to its federal grant.

The district will retain ownership of the three sites, and Reilly said they will remain vacant for now, The News-Herald reported.

No demolition date has been set.

SOURCE:
The (Southgate) News-Herald, "Taylor: District to demolish three school buildings," July 15, 2010

FURTHER READING:
Michigan Education Report, "Schools for sale," Aug. 15, 2007

Share