- 357 of 545 school districts (65.5 percent) contract out for food, custodial or transportation services in 2013.
- 159 of those districts contract out for at least two of these services, up from 127 districts in 2012.
- 72 districts began new contracts for food, custodial or transportation services in 2013.
- 15 districts ended a contract with a private provider and brought a service back in-house.
Graphic 1: Outsourcing by Michigan School Districts
* Data were not collected for the years 2002 and 2004.
As Graphic 1 shows, the portion of districts privatizating at least one of these three noninstructional services increased from 31 percent in 2001 to 65.5 percent in 2013, a 111 percent increase.