The Mackinac Center for Public Policy is a nonpartisan research and educational institute dedicated to improving the quality of life for all Michigan residents by promoting sound solutions to state and local policy questions.
The Mackinac Center seeks a vice president for advancement to lead its fundraising team. He or she will oversee strategic plan elements related to securing all annual funding and growing the contributor base for long-term support. He or she will be especially active in personal solicitations of supporters and future supporters. He or she will work closely with the president and a fundraising team currently comprised of five other positions. Significant travel is required — usually day trips by car, often accompanying the president or another colleague.
The fundraising team currently manages an active direct-mail prospecting program, a house-file program, various giving societies, a foundation grant program, a sophisticated database and special events for supporters and future supporters. The advancement department stays closely abreast of Mackinac Center policy research, litigation and educational outreach.
Strong candidates will possess:
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Proven fundraising or sales ability through personal solicitation, including ability to cultivate major gifts
- Outstanding personal presence, affability, polish and ability to connect with people
- Ability to persuasively articulate the benefits of a free society and describe the Mackinac Center’s role in securing it
- Experience cultivating legacy gifts and leading a legacy program
- Excellent speaking skills, including public speaking, and good writing skill
- Ability to coordinate a team and help its members develop professionally
- Strong habits of hospitality, courtesy, service and gratitude
- Commitment to free-market public policy and individual liberty
The position is based in Midland, Michigan. The vice president for advancement will be a member of the Mackinac Center’s core leadership team.
Please send a persuasive cover letter and a resume via to Patricia Benner, vice president for operations. No phone calls, please.